SIGMA 17 (2021), 077, 13 pages arXiv:2105.08641
Contribution to the Special Issue on Mathematics of Integrable Systems: Classical and Quantum in honor of Leon Takhtajan
Second-Order Differential Operators in the Limit Circle Case
Dmitri R. Yafaev abc
a) Université de Rennes, CNRS, IRMAR-UMR 6625, F-35000 Rennes, France
b) St. Petersburg University, 7/9 Universitetskaya Emb., St. Petersburg, 199034, Russia
c) Sirius University of Science and Technology, 1 Olympiysky Ave., Sochi, 354340, Russia
Received May 20, 2021, in final form August 14, 2021; Published online August 16, 2021
We consider symmetric second-order differential operators with real coefficients such that the corresponding differential equation is in the limit circle case at infinity. Our goal is to construct the theory of self-adjoint realizations of such operators by an analogy with the case of Jacobi operators. We introduce a new object, the quasiresolvent of the maximal operator, and use it to obtain a very explicit formula for the resolvents of all self-adjoint realizations. In particular, this yields a simple representation for the Cauchy-Stieltjes transforms of the spectral measures playing the role of the classical Nevanlinna formula in the theory of Jacobi operators.
Key words: second-order differential equations; minimal and maximal differential operators; self-adjoint extensions; quasiresolvents; resolvents.
pdf (343 kb)
tex (17 kb)
- Coddington E.A., Levinson N., Theory of ordinary differential equations, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York - Toronto - London, 1955.
- Naimark M.A., Linear differential operators, Ungar, New York, 1968.
- Nevanlinna R., Asymptotische Entwickelungen beschränkter Funktionen und das Stieltjessche Momentenproblem, Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn. A 18 (1922), no. 5, 1-52.
- Reed M., Simon B., Methods of modern mathematical physics. II. Fourier analysis, self-adjointness, Academic Press, New York - London, 1975.
- Schmüdgen K., Unbounded self-adjoint operators on Hilbert space, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, Vol. 265, Springer, Dordrecht, 2012.
- Simon B., The classical moment problem as a self-adjoint finite difference operator, Adv. Math. 137 (1998), 82-203, arXiv:math-ph/9906008.
- Yafaev D.R., Analytic scattering theory for Jacobi operators and Bernstein-Szegö asymptotics of orthogonal polynomials, Rev. Math. Phys. 30 (2018), 1840019, 47 pages, arXiv:1711.05029.
- Yafaev D.R., Semiclassical asymptotic behavior of orthogonal polynomials, Lett. Math. Phys. 110 (2020), 2857-2891, arXiv:1811.09254.
- Yafaev D.R., Self-adjoint Jacobi operators in the limit circle case, J. Operator Theory, to appear, arXiv:2104.13609.
- Zettl A., Sturm-Liouville theory, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, Vol. 121, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2005.