SIGMA 9 (2013), 012, 5 pages arXiv:1206.5229
Contribution to the Special Issue “Symmetries of Differential Equations: Frames, Invariants and Applications”
Specialized Orthonormal Frames and Embedding
Frank B. Estabrook
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Received October 09, 2012, in final form February 12, 2013; Published online February 15, 2013
We discuss some specializations of the frames of flat orthonormal frame bundles over
geometries of indefinite signature, and the resulting symmetries of families of embedded
Riemannian or pseudo-Riemannian geometries.
The specializations are closed sets of linear constraints on the connection 1-forms of the framing.
The embeddings can be isometric, as in minimal surfaces or Regge-Teitelboim gravity, or
torsion-free, as in Einstein vacuum gravity.
Involutive exterior differential systems are given, and their Cartan character tables
calculated to express the well-posedness of the underlying partial differential embedding
and specialization equations.
embedding; orthonormal frames; Cartan theory.
pdf (239 kb)
tex (11 kb)
- Estabrook F.B., Mathematical structure of tetrad equations for vacuum
relativity, Phys. Rev. D 71 (2005), 044004, 5 pages,
- Estabrook F.B., The Hilbert Lagrangian and isometric embedding: tetrad
formulation of Regge-Teitelboim gravity, J. Math. Phys.
51 (2010), 042502, 10 pages, arXiv:0908.0365.
- Estabrook F.B., Wahlquist H.D., Moving frame formulations of 4-geometries
having isometries, Classical Quantum Gravity 13 (1996),
- Ivey T.A., Landsberg J.M., Cartan for beginners: differential geometry via
moving frames and exterior differential systems, Graduate Studies in
Mathematics, Vol. 61, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 2003.
- Paston S.A., Sheykin A.A., Embeddings for the Schwarzschild metric:
classification and new results, Classical Quantum Gravity
29 (2012), 095022, 17 pages, arXiv:1202.1204.
- Stephani H., Kramer D., MacCallum M., Hoenselaers C., Herlt E., Exact solutions
of Einstein's field equations, 2nd ed., Cambridge Monographs on
Mathematical Physics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2003.