SIGMA 8 (2012), 099, 9 pages arXiv:1208.2337
On the Number of Real Roots of the Yablonskii-Vorob'ev Polynomials
Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen, IMAPP, FNWI, Heyendaalseweg 135, 6525 AJ Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Received August 14, 2012, in final form December 07, 2012; Published online December 14, 2012
We study the real roots of the Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomials, which are special polynomials used to represent rational solutions of the second Painlevé equation.
It has been conjectured that the number of real roots of the nth Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomial equals [(n+1)/2].
We prove this conjecture using an interlacing property between the roots of the Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomials.
Furthermore we determine precisely the number of negative and the number of positive real roots of the nth Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomial.
second Painlevé equation; rational solutions; real roots; interlacing of roots; Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomials.
pdf (282 kb)
tex (10 kb)
- Clarkson P.A., Special polynomials associated with rational solutions of the
Painlevé equations and applications to soliton equations, Comput.
Methods Funct. Theory 6 (2006), 329-401.
- Clarkson P.A., Mansfield E.L., The second Painlevé equation, its hierarchy
and associated special polynomials, Nonlinearity 16 (2003),
- Fukutani S., Okamoto K., Umemura H., Special polynomials and the Hirota
bilinear relations of the second and the fourth Painlevé equations,
Nagoya Math. J. 159 (2000), 179-200.
- Kaneko M., Ochiai H., On coefficients of Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomials,
J. Math. Soc. Japan 55 (2003), 985-993,
- Roffelsen P., Irrationality of the roots of the Yablonskii-Vorob'ev
polynomials and relations between them, SIGMA 6 (2010),
095, 11 pages, arXiv:1012.2933.
- Taneda M., Remarks on the Yablonskii-Vorob'ev polynomials, Nagoya
Math. J. 159 (2000), 87-111.
- Vorob'ev A.P., On the rational solutions of the second Painlevé equation,
Differ. Uravn. 1 (1965), 79-81.
- Yablonskii A.I., On rational solutions of the second Painlevé equation,
Vesti AN BSSR, Ser. Fiz.-Tech. Nauk (1959), no. 3, 30-35.