SIGMA 1 (2005), 011, 16 pages math-ph/0511035
Connections Between Symmetries and Conservation Laws
Department of Mathematics, University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T1Z2
Received July 29, 2005, in final form October 22, 2005; Published online October 26, 2005
This paper presents recent work on connections between symmetries and conservation laws.
After reviewing Noether's
theorem and its limitations, we present the Direct Construction Method to show
how to find directly the conservation laws
for any given system of differential equations. This method yields the multipliers for conservation laws as well as an
integral formula for corresponding conserved densities. The action of a symmetry
(discrete or continuous) on a conservation
law yields conservation laws. Conservation laws yield non-locally related systems that, in turn, can yield nonlocal
symmetries and in addition be useful for the application of other mathematical methods. From its admitted symmetries or
multipliers for conservation laws, one can determine whether or not a given system of differential equations can be
linearized by an invertible transformation.
conservation laws; linearization; nonlocal symmetries; Noether's theorem.
pdf (282 kb)
ps (176 kb)
tex (17 kb)
- Noether E., Invariante Variationsprobleme,
Nachr. König. Gesell. Wissen. Göttingen, Math.-Phys. Kl.,
- Bessel-Hagen E., Über die Erhaltungssätze der Elektrodynamik,
Math. Ann., 1921, V.84, 258-276.
- Ibragimov N.H., Transformation groups applied to mathematical physics, Boston, Reidel, 1985.
- Olver P.J., Applications of Lie groups to differential equations, New York, Springer, 1986.
- Bluman G., Kumei S., Symmetries and differential equations, New York, Springer, 1989.
- Anco S., Bluman G., Direct construction of conservation laws from field equations,
Phys. Rev. Lett., 1997, V.78, 2869-2873.
- Anco S., Bluman G., Integrating factors and first integrals
for ordinary differential equations, European J.
Appl. Math., 1998, V.9, 245-259.
- Anco S., Bluman G., Direct construction method
for conservation laws of partial differential equations. Part I:
Examples of conservation law classfications, European J. Appl. Math., 2002, V.13, 545-566.
- Anco S., Bluman G., Direct construction method for
conservation laws of partial differential equations. Part II:
General treatment, European J. Appl. Math., 1998, V.9, 245-259.
- Krasil'shchik I.S., Vinogradov A.M., Symmetries and conservation laws for differential equations
of mathematical physics, Providence, RI, Amer. Math. Soc., 1999.
- Wolf T., A comparison of four approaches to the calculation
of conservation laws, European J. Appl. Math., 2002, V.13, 129-152.
- Bluman G., Temuerchaolu, Anco S., New conservation
laws obtained directly from symmetry action on a known conservation
law, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 2005, to appear.
- Bluman G., Doran-Wu P., The use of factors to discover potential
symmetries and linearizations, Acta Appl.
Math., 1995, V.41, 21-43.
- Bluman G., Cheviakov A., Framework for potential
systems and nonlocal symmetries: Algorithmic approach, J. Math. Phys., 2005, to appear.
- Kumei S., Bluman G., When nonlinear differential
equations are equivalent to linear differential equations,
SIAM J. Appl. Math., 1982, V.42, 1157-1173.
- Bluman G., Kumei S., Symmetry-based algorithms to
relate partial differential equations, I. Local symmetries,
European J. Appl. Math., 1990, V.1, 189-216.
- Bluman G., Kumei S., Symmetry-based algorithms
to relate partial differential equations, II. Linearization by
nonlocal symmetries, European J. Appl. Math., 1990, V.1, 217-223.
- Anco S., Wolf T., Bluman G., Computational
linearization of partial differential equations by conservation laws,
Dept. of Math., Brock University, St. Catharines, ON, Canada, 2005, in preparation.
- Bluman G., Anco S., Symmetry and integration methods
for differential equations, New York, Springer, 2002.
- Popovych R.O., Ivanova N.M., Hierarchy of conservation laws of diffusion-convection equations,
J. Math. Phys., 2005, V.46, 043502, 22 pages.
- Stephani H., Differential equations: Their solution using symmetries,
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1989.
- Kingston G., Sophocleous C., Symmetries
and form-preserving transformations of one-dimensional wave equations with
dissipation, Int. J. Non-Linear Mech., 2001, V.36, 987-997.
- Bluman G., Temuerchaolu, Sahadevan R.,
Local and nonlocal symmetries for nonlinear telegraph equations, J.
Math. Phys., 2005, V.46, 023505, 12 pages.
- Bluman G., Temeuerchaolu, Conservation laws
for nonlinear telegraph equations, J. Math. Anal.
Appl., 2005, V.310, 459-476.
- Bluman G., Temuerchaolu, Comparing symmetries
and conservation laws of nonlinear telegraph equations, J. Math.
Phys., 2005, V.46, 073513, 14 pages.